Friday, August 10, 2007

On the importance of thoughtfulness



I find that motherhood is teaching me a lot. One thing I'm learning is the importance of being thoughtful and showing others how much you care by remembering what's important to them. We all need to show that we care about the people who matter in our lives. And it's the little things that count - the messsages on MySpace, the phone calls, the flowers, the cards, the moments together, the words we say. I want to raise Nick to be someone who remembers anniversaries, birthdays, and holidays, and to be present for those moments with the people who matter to him the way my family is with me. I want him to handwrite cards, send flowers, and generally be the kind of person who shows love. I want him to make those gestures even when he's far away from the people he loves, and even when he hasn't talked to them in a while. I hope that in raising him to be a thoughtful man, I will help him to receive such love and attention in return. Life is richer when you care, and are cared about.

No comments: