Wednesday, September 26, 2007

What is it about Home Goods?

So yesterday my mom and I went to Home Goods during her weekly visit to San Diego and, for the second time in about two months, a lady went crazy at checkout and started screaming. This time, she was yelling, "I can't stand for that long!" when she stormed out. Apparently she was upset that she had to stand behind my mom and me in line. The last time this happened - same store, different nut-job - the woman was buying a few items and asked for a discount on one because "it isn't worth that much." Thinking she was talking to a street vendor in TJ, not a retail cashier in a chain store in SD, she threw a fit. She wanted 50% off. The cashier explained that the item was not damaged so she was unable to offer even 10% off, let alone cut the price in half. That banshee ran screaming out of the store, leaving the rest of us in line to pick our jaws up off the floor. The woman behind me just muttered under her breath, "wow."

I'm starting to think that the problem is either 1) with Home Goods clientele or 2) with Home Goods location, in Poway. Are people in Poway just crazy? Or does this store simply overwhelm already-on-the-edge ladies with its plethora of interesting-but-not-at-all-necessary household items?

Not sure. But I'm starting to wonder what's next. Stay tuned.

No comments: