Friday, June 27, 2008

The things we do for love

Moms do crazy-wonderful things for their kids that are often not appreciated until those kids are much older (if they are ever appreciated at all). Like the 300-page book I've written for Nick that if I'm lucky he'll read maybe once when he's 30 and expecting his own child. But we do things because we love our babies, not for the thanks we'll get or the rewards that may or may not come.

Such is the case with my mom, too, who collected depression glass for me and my sister for decades without knowing if we would or could ever appreciate how hard she had to work to find each piece, or how much money she spent securing a collection over the years. She collected pink for me, green for my sister. And now we both love our depression glass sets. Who wouldn't? They are beautiful! It's virtually impossible to find complete sets these days.

This week when they came down for their weekly visit, mom and dad brought me my set - service for 8 in pink Block Optic with the pitcher and 12 glasses too. Unheard of. And I have it because she loved me.

Here are pics of the pieces in the sink being cleaned (except for one plate that I deliberately did not clean well because it still had the worn price tag on it and I wanted to save that). I dream of having a tea party with my sister one day where we combine our collections and have a table overflowing with pink and green sparkly glass dishes and cups and glasses. Wouldn't it be beautiful?


Thanks, mom. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

1 comment:

Cottage At Dove Canyon said...

Oh, yours is so pretty!! Love the pink.