Tuesday, June 10, 2008

When food is love

I'm Greek, so I know a thing or two about eating. In fact, I've never been a skinny-minny because I love food. I love eating out, but I also love dining in. What I've realized since having Nick is that 1) home-cooked food makes babies (and hubbies) happy, and 2) I am like my mom in that I have an arsenal of five things I make really well, and I tend to rotate those recipes, most of which are hers. What are my five, you ask? Lasagne, chicken enchiladas, Greek chicken and rice, chicken and dumplings, and Nick's favorite, chicken stew which is pretty much the same base as chicken and dumplings with a variation on the starch. I just realized that all my specialities are composed of one meat and starch or another. Hmmm ... no Atkins dieting around here, I guarantee!

I usually cook for him once a week, a big enough portion to last until Wednesday or Thursday by which time he is tired of whatever I've made (unless it's lasagne - there is so tiring of lasagne he told me). So yesterday I made chicken stew with his favorite wide egg noodles. He is learning to eat with a spoon though he really just plays with the spoon while I feed him or cut up pieces he can pick up himself. Here are snaps from yesterday's lunch. He loves picking up the egg noodles out of the bowl with his hands and slurping them up.

Cleaning the aftermath is so much fun.



Oh, and yes his shirt does say My Mom Rules, 'cause I do.

2 comments:

Susie said...

Oh my word, that dinner looks delicious! We love food, too, and especially "keeper" recipes! I see you found bake or break- did you get teh dessert recipe on there that I made last weeK?? I still need to send that out! Yum!

Cottage At Dove Canyon said...

I always screw up moms greek chicken and rice!