It's funny - Dave asked me what I wanted to do tomorrow to celebrate, and my only thoughts are of Nick. What might he enjoy? Where can we go for dinner that he will behave and find something decent to eat? Motherhood changes everything, doesn't it? What I want to do is eat at this amazing Chinese place near our house and SLEEP. What I will do is head out with Nick and Dave for somewhere like Olive Garden. And that's okay. My days of Chinese food and sleep have, at least for the moment, passed me by.
If I sound sad or melancholy, I'm not. I just find that big birthdays make you look backward more than forward. How did I get here? Where have I been? Have I used my time on this planet wisely so far? And I can say with only minimal hesitation that I have. By the age of 35, I've finished my Ph.D. and am two years away from academic tenure, which most people don't even come close to before they are 40-50. I have one beautiful baby and another on the way. I have been married for five years. I am proud of what I've done at what is technically a "young age." I like to imagine where I might be at 70. Then I can reframe tomorrow as the halfway point, which makes me feel much younger as a matter of fact!
I'm sure one day I will look back and laugh at myself for having felt old on my 35th birthday. I will want to reach back in time and hug myself and tell myself that the best was still yet to come. So that's what I'll do tomorrow. I'll give myself a hug and remind myself that big birthdays don't have to mean a look backward; they can be a reminder to look ahead at all that remains to be done, seen, experienced, and all the love and happiness that awaits.
Speaking of love and happiness, here are two shots of my joy from earlier today taken with my birthday present.
2 comments:
No matter how old you get, I'll always be five years younger and Jeff will always be 11 years older. So, we both win.
Hope your birthday was as delight-filled as you are! I just can't help but think that the next birthday sure sneaks up on us faster than they did when we were kids- which is so unfair, of course.
Post a Comment