Tuesday, January 27, 2009

No sprinkle in the forecast

We had an amazing baby shower for my son Nick, who's now 22 months old; it really was the shower to end all showers. I wasn't planning to have more kids after Nick, but when I found out I was having a girl this time I really did want to have a party for her. Not a full-on shower, but what's called a "sprinkle" or a mini shower, in part because there's so much we need given her gender (there's something so wrong about swaddling her in football-printed blankets or making her wear blue socks, which right now is all I have) and in part just to celebrate her arrival so she'd have the full scrapbook of pre-birth photos of people welcoming her like Nick does.

Well, here I am 33 weeks pregnant and the window of opportunity to "sprinkle" her is closing. My sister kindly offered earlier on to throw a party at her house but she lives in Orange County and I knew my San Diego friends with kids wouldn't want to drive all that way. My mom says I shouldn't have a second shower because it's tacky, and suggests that I want people to buy me more gifts. She says in her generation you only got one shower per family, and I've had mine. But I'm going to three "sprinkles" for friends of mine in the next two months who are having their second children - all of whom are about to have girls after having boys - and getting ready for their showers makes me sad about not having my own.

Last weekend I got inspired with a small boost of energy and went on evite only to find beautiful rose-themed invitations (perfect given Zoe's name) and thought hey, I could do a small fete at the house on Valentine's Day weekend (again, the theme) and keep it low key - just finger foods and rose cupcakes like I'd planned and I wouldn't have so much cleaning to do or so much prep, it wouldn't be so expensive, and I could do it all myself. But then the energy left me and I became overwhelmed again by trying to get this all together and planned. I'll be 36 weeks pregnant by Valentine's Day.

Dave had a good idea last night - write a letter to Zoe telling her all the things I would have done, all the little details I had in mind, and just explain to her that I waited too long and was too tired to act on them. But the loving intention was there to welcome her with a rose-themed party. I know I would appreciate knowing that my mom wanted to do something for me, even if she wasn't able to do it. Girls appreciate that, right? Of course Dave had another idea that was awful - wait until after she arrives and then have a party. Only a man would even propose such a ridiculous plan. If I think I'm tired now ...

If you're reading this and have strong feelings - like YES you should plan it and do it even if you don't feel like it because you'll regret it or NO just move on and let it go - I'd love to know! For now it's a sunny forecast ahead - not a sprinkle in sight. And in a way that makes me just a bit sad.

3 comments:

Jaime said...

I say, have a little get together and note on the invitation that you are not accepting gifts. That way, you are celebrating her arrival without people feeling like they need to buy another gift. It takes the consumerism out of the celebration. You could ask for something functional, such as diapers. Just my thoughts...

Cottage At Dove Canyon said...

As a third baby, I am sure that I didn't have a shower & I don't even have a baby book - mom was too busy and I'm sure too tired. But I know that she loved me. I don't think Zoe will ever think about a shower or wonder if she had one. And I am sure that people will buy girl gifts. Registering and throwing a shower seems like asking for gifts. Call me old fashioned - but I am in the "Second showers are tacky" camp.

Susie said...

my 2 cents: I say go for it. You'll never regret having a small and intimate get together to celebrate Zoe's impending arrival. Make it simple, Athena- rose cupcakes are easy to order, Target has pink "stuff" to host a party. I know your friends would love to bless you and Zoe in this way.

Enjoy the last few weeks of pregnancy as much as you can- she's ALMOST here :) I can't wait to "meet" her!