So a friend of mine came to visit yesterday and we ended up talking about all the things no one tells you in life - how challenging the first year after college will be, how stressful the first year of married life can be even if you life together first, how much children change EVERYTHING, and so on. There are a few books on the market with titles like "The Girlfriends Guide" but I have found that even they sugarcoat the reality of things, the difficulty of circumstances, or they stop short of saying everything that needs to be said.
I'd like to author a series of books called Women's Wisdom, each tackling a different subject from a dozen perspectives and offering some candid views that women need to hear but often won't, or don't, even from their best girlfriends and mothers.
Take for example the things I wish someone would have told me having kids (and I am only including those items I've noticed my other mama friends mentioning, too):
1. That when you get pregnant and have a child, you will actually finally appreciate your mom.
2. But you'll resent her too when she isn't as warm and fuzzy and loving toward you in your new mom role as you thought she'd be. Or when she judges everything you do and makes you feel like a second-class parent.
3. That as a great cosmic joke you will have the highest sex drive ever while you are pregnant (because of blood flow to the ... er ... region) at a time when your husband is least likely to find you attractive and at a time when you feel least attractive as well.
4. But the good news (I guess) is that your sex drive disappears the day you deliver along with the other feel-good hormones that kept you from killing people during gestation.
5. That your husband is not going to watch your child as carefully as you do because he didn't carry her or him. It's a fact.
6. But you need to let him watch your child because he's his/her father and you need time alone.
7. That you will want to stop swearing and white-lying and doing anything bad in your life once you have a child because you see all the goodness of the world reflected in his or her eyes.
8. But if you said "fuck" (or in my case "holy crap") a lot before he or she was born, you will still say it, even accidentally, when you're frustrated and tired. You just have to be careful not to say it too much or within earshot if possible. Or substitute a more benign term in its place (which has worked for me and others).
Oh the list could go on, and the anecdotes that go with these items. When I finally get time I'd really like to get this all written and compiled and ready for a publisher!
Friday, January 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment