I haven't been able to get her words out of my mind since. "This time" has been the most important two years of my life, every moment lived for and with this little man. And to think that his memories of his life won't include a second of it - that he won't remember our pre-Zoe afternoon naps and cuddles, the way we shared our breakfast every morning or how we watched Mickey Mouse Clubhouse in the mornings, him on my lap holding my ear. He won't remember how we went everywhere together, just him and me. How I would hold him while I cooked dinner and walk him through the steps. He won't remember how it feels to be #1, the one and only; he'll only recall being one of two now. And I cried, and cried, and cried last night. It seems unfair that Nick won't remember this time except for what I capture for him on film, video, and in my writings to him.
So I am spending these last few days taking more photos, more video, writing more down. I want him to know in a lot of detail what our life was like before Zoe, so he knows how loved he has been and how much I've invested - how much everyone who loves him has invested - in making him feel as special and important as possible. All of that will continue of course. But for some reason I feel the need to make sure he knows that once, for a time, it was just him and me. And I loved it that way. His sister is a gift to him, hopefully a friend and ally for life, but before she came was a memorable time. For sure, these have been the most magical years of my life - not the easiest, but the most rewarding.
I'm off now to nap with him for one of the last times as just his mama, alone.
2 comments:
I'm sure you'll still carve out special time for you and Nick. He's a cute little guy... and is going to be an amazing big brother! There's a reason God made knit him first for your family :)
Though he may lack conscious memory, the "time" has shaped him and will always influence his course.
Post a Comment