Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Super Wednesday

I know, it's Super TUESDAY, but since the democratic primary results are still being ironed out as I write this, I figured I'll carry over the theme into today.

I voted, did you?

The truth is, it doesn't matter who wins the primary. I mean, it does. But IMO anyone is better than Bush. McCain will do a fine job. I would just really, really like to live to see the first black president in office, or the first female president. Given what I teach - and the fact that I research white male identity development for a living - I just think we need something, someone, else to look at for a while. The data say that if a person of color, or a woman, is in charge of a university, you see a dramatic difference in the academic and social development of students of color and female students. It's about role-modeling and identification.

Imagine if a black man or white woman ran this country?

So if it's McCain, that's okay with me. But I am hoping to see the day - not just for myself, but for so many people who need to see themselves reflected in their leaders - when a non-white-male president stands before God and country to take the oath and pledge his/her service on a winter morning in some future year. And I can say to Nicholas, in a quiet but steady voice, this is the moment mommy has waited for. This is history being made. This is change. This is a chance for people to fully deploy themselves and rise up. This is it.

I have hope.

1 comment:

Susie said...

We think it would be pretty darn cool to see this very history being made in our lifetime (despite being from red camp)...oh, how I wonder what the future holds. I trust He knows ;)