Monday, February 25, 2008

For the birds

I wanted to invite some birds into our yard so Nick could watch them. Innocent enough, right? So I got a "seed sock" full of seeds that would attract small birds and hung it in our magnolia tree in the backyard. That was 2 weeks ago and not a single bird noticed it. Until yesterday. All of a sudden it's like every small bird in north county found out about the sock and descended on our yard. At any given time, around the clock, there have been 10 birds on the sock, another 20 in the magnolia tree waiting their turn, another 10 sitting on the fence nearby, and what sound like dozens more in other trees on the golf course below. The noise at one point today was so loud I had to close the window in order to hear the t.v.
Nick loved watching them with me, and I got some good pictures to prove how crazy these little birds were (keep in mind, this image was taken from inside the house, 15 feet away at least), almost stepping on each other to find a space on that sock. They have devoured almost half the seeds in 24 hours. Now the question becomes what to do when this runs out!

1 comment:

Susie said...

Good intentions gone bad. This just makes me giggle :)